Look, Understand, Realize Your Future
If your organization is to achieve long-term success you must determine how to satisfy the needs of clients in this ever-changing world. A proactive strategy positions you to meet the future with confidence. Take time to look into the future, understand what you are seeing and act to realize what you desire.
Look into the future
Make regular appointments to study what futurists, such as the World Future Society, have to say. Review trends in demographics, technology, social behaviours, economics, governments and the environment to answer key questions:
- How will the needs and desires of our primary customers change?
- What other demographics will have needs we can fulfill?
- How are social attitudes and behaviours changing?
- What changes in technology will provide an advantage for us?
- What technology will our customers embrace and how quickly?
- How are our competitors changing?
- How will the economy change?
- How will the environment change and how will people react?
Understand your future
All strategy regarding the future is based on the foundation of your mission and values. Be honest about your recent successes and shortfalls in order to identify your key strengths and weaknesses. Review what you have learned about the future and:
- Write a story, as if for the media, about the important successes of your organization, dated five years in the future.
- Set it aside for a few days and then share it with someone you trust.
- Together, review the story and extract the most important and exciting elements.
- In the context of your mission answer:
- What will be the products and services offered to our top 20% of customers?
- What will be our critical roles and the required central knowledge and skills?
- What operational and management processes will we execute?
- Which technologies will we use extensively?
- How will we innovate?
- What will we abandon?
- What will this mean to employees, clients and community?
Realize your future
- Create long-term, five-year objectives.
- For each objective work backward to outline short-term, specific measurable goals for each year.
- Assign a champion to lead the execution of each goal.
- Develop and share monthly milestones as you move forward. Ensure time is set aside for weekly actions to accomplish these milestones.
- Schedule monthly meetings to review successes, shortfalls and provide guidance.
- Celebrate successes and address shortfalls.
As your leadership team accomplishes their goals your organization will create its future, reaching what was once considered unachievable success.
December 4, 2017
Type the characters you see in the picture left; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.