Work is a Source of Passion, Exhilaration, Fulfillment and Success
One of the key factors in an organization’s successful leadership development strategy is how people view their work. Do they regard their work as exhilarating and fulfilling? Do they feel passionate about it and believe it leads to success?
Do you feel that way?
Is work in your organization getting a bad reputation? Are people saying, “I have to work,” as if it were the worst thing that could possibly happen. For too many, work is not enjoyable; it is regarded as merely an exhausting job, labour, chore, or drudgery. We spend at least 45% of our waking hours working. It is important that work, which takes up such a large proportion of our lives, is not just something we do to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads. Is it time to reframe your thinking about work?
As a leader it is important that you focus on yourself first. Only after you are satisfied will you be able to successfully develop others. Consider the following questions:
- Has your level of passion for what you do increased, or at least remained the same, since you started with the organization?
- Are excited by what you do?
- Are you in the right role? Does it provide the challenge and opportunity for growth that you want?
- Do you have fun at work?
- Are you valued?
- Are you a good coach? Do you enjoy developing others and helping them succeed?
- Are you satisfied with the balance in your life?
- Do you take sufficient time to look after your health, diet, rest and exercise, and maintain other interests?
- Do you spend enough quality time with your family?
10. If you won the lottery would you still do what you are doing?
If you answered “yes” to all these questions – fabulous! You probably feel great and are ready to engage with and develop others. Your next step is to consider how your team would answer these questions. If you don’t know the answers then it is time you found out.
On the other hand, what if you answered “no” to some of the questions? If you are to create an enjoyable environment at work for yourself and others, you need to be proactive, reframe your thinking, and change the situation.
Use these questions to start the change process:
- What are the one or two factors that would reignite your passion? How do you achieve those?
- What needs to happen for you to feel valued?
- What are you doing that gets in the way of having fun?
- Is effective organization or delegation an issue?
- Do you get frequent positive feedback on your strengths, as well as areas for growth?
- Do you provide that same feedback to your team?
“If you won the lottery…” is a defining question. If you answered that you would rather be doing something else, then why do you stay? Money alone is a weak reason. It is not the reason people enjoy their working experience. We need more. Create an environment for yourself and your team where work is equated with passion, exhilaration, fulfillment and success.
May 1, 2012
Type the characters you see in the picture left; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.