Standards and processes that make every level of your organization ‘delegation friendly’ will increase efficiency and productivity, as well as make life easier for every manager.
The goal for the organization is to get the right people doing the right work, everywhere. Few organizations provide permission and direction that enables delegation. Managers often don’t see the benefits of delegating, and when they do delegate, is it delivering the intended results.
Delegation Friendly Habits
There are key steps to make delegation work:
- Create a culture that delivers positive results and train everyone in standard processes. Often mangers don’t consider delegation for what they normally do.
- Lead by example and identify the tasks that you are responsible for and the payoffs to the organization. Delegate the lowest payoff jobs and invest the time gained in those high payoff activities.
- Fill your organization with leaders by training people to take initiative to improve how they do their work. Teach them to provide direction for others so everyone moves in a more productive direction.
- Empower individuals to execute effective delegation. Ensure they have the authority to decide and the responsibility to act for results.
- Delegate closest to the customer, whether internal or external.
- Use an assessment tool, like PrevueR to identify the person who best fits the job. When a person’s personality style matches the job, they perform more effectively.
- Build a comprehensive training and delegation plan that anticipates delegation opportunities and allows individuals to grow to fulfill greater authority.
- Assign a support person or a coach to help individuals accept delegated roles then establish goals, measurements, checkpoints, reports and feedback to ensure successful delegation.
Create a culture where every manager is encouraged to delegate. When the right people do the right tasks, they use their talents and time to reap the greatest returns for the organization and themselves. When people are empowered to delegate, more effective actions take place. The organization is much better off, and the life of every manager is easier.